Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Another Retirement


I stand as an observer at Alan’s work retirement celebration.  He had friends, co-workers, County Commissioners, the Director of Development, and the County Administrator in attendance.  It’s nice to see and hear people appreciating him for his work. His retirement celebration has heart-rending moments. It provides the opportunity for co-workers and others he worked with to tell him how much they appreciate him and to say good bye.  It is the good bye that doesn’t really sink for quite awhile.  In many ways, the events could be likened to a graduation from high school or college.  It is a moment in time that you desire and work toward.  It arrives and then you realize all the people who have been with you through the experience won’t be coming with you.  What a bummer!

Last night he mentioned that today he would turn in his key.  Turning in the key is hard.  It is the final break.  You can’t return unless you are invited in.  I struggled with turning in my key.  In fact, I discovered I had an extra key and was going to return it when I went back for a baby shower, but then forgot it.  Or maybe I meant to forget it.  It gave me comfort. 

As I have thought about Alan’s retirement and then mine, I realize that in some ways I retired from my relationship with Shadow.  How awful and what a realization for me.  Magnum is now my partner in obedience, agility, and tracking training.  Being a puppy, he demands attention.  Shadow’s blindness and her age have caused her to slow down. She can’t chase after me or demand attention the way a puppy does.  Or maybe she does it in a different more subtle way.   I need to begin to rectify this situation and will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment