Sunday, September 30, 2012

Tracking at the ESSFTA Nationals

Magnum, my 17-month English Springer Spaniel, and I have just gotten back from the 2012 English Springer Spaniel Field Trial Association’s National AKC Event held at the Purina Farm outside of St. Louis.  On Sunday, Sept. 23rd, Magnum completed his first Tracking Dog test after being certified in tracking in August by Tracking Judge Steve Ripley.   I am very proud to say that he passed the test and completed the tracking test in less than 5 minutes.  He is a very fast and accurate tracker.  One of the judges told me she had goose bumps watching him track.  I selected this venue because it is very difficult to get into tracking tests.  The Springer Nationals gave priority to Springers without titles and then Springers with titles.  I got to watch all the other dogs – 3 others attempted the Tracking Dog test, 4 attempted the Tracking Dog Excellent test, and 3 attempted the Variable Surface Track test.  Only 2 other passed the Tracking Dog test.  Thank you to my good friend Michele Johnson and her beagles for being our tracking partners and to my husband Alan for the many tracks he has laid and his encouragement.  This was the culmination of 3 months of tracking 6 days a week and aging tracks up to 2 hours.  I followed the schedule of Glen Johnson.  Some dogs might not want to track 6 days a week, but Magnum loved it.


Tuesday and Wednesday were agility.  Tuesday was all breeds and Wednesday was Springer only.  Purina has a wonderful event center.  Agility was in one ring, obedience in another, and conformation in a third.  This was my first agility trial with Magnum and my first in 3 years since Shadow went blind.  I was really nervous.  I will cut to the chase and tell you that Magnum came out with double q’s both days and first place blue ribbons for all runs.  He had a score of 100 for each of the four runs and was well under standard time.  Magnum was awesome!  He was completely focused and ran fast.  I had not expected such focus and accuracy.  Now, I know that it is much easier in Novice and Open to get a first place blue ribbon than in Excellent, but I am relishing this first time out performance.  Alan says that it is so much easier for the long ride home with your partner when your dog has exceeded all your expectations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment