Saturday, May 7, 2011

Exercise and Retirement

I plan to be active when I retire so that I can run with my new puppy as well as hike and bike with my grandchild.  Since I am about seven weeks out from getting the puppy, I am working on loosing weight.  Over the last month, I’ve lost 5 pounds.  I am determined to lose and keep off another 10 pounds.  So I have decreased my calorie intake to between 1200 and 1400 per day.  It takes about 1600 calories to maintain my current weight.  I am also increasing my exercise to 300 minutes a week as Bob Green recommends in his book 20 Years Younger.  At work, I am trying to walk about half an hour at lunch, and then ride my bike after work.  Today I hiked for an hour, rode my bike for half an hour between raindrops and went tracking with Shadow. 

So, both the reduction of calories and increase in exercise are important.  I’ll let you know how I am doing.  I hope to start short jogs with Shadow in the yard this weekend.  This will help to get me in shape for agility with the puppy.

Patty asked me what I wanted in a puppy.  I told her and then decided to visit to pick out the puppy.  So I am flying to Minneapolis on June 5th and coming home the next day.  I’ll then return the last weekend in June to take the puppy home.  Patty has kindly offered to let me stay overnight in her guest room.  Above is a picture of Kelly and her 8 puppies.  Wonder which puppy will be mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment