Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Holidays




So much is written about the holiday spirit – lack of it, getting it, transformation, and having it.  Probably it all has some truth in it.  Along with many, I am concerned about the over commercialization of Christmas.  I am not a religious person, but I love the values exemplified in the Christmas story.

I have never had a lack of Christmas spirit, but I too have to watch my spending.  I tend to use Christmas as a time to help my son’s family financially.  I think that is okay.  I am also generous to non-profits during this season.  I took a child’s request off the tree in the library to purchase a gift for them. 

I end up giving money to some non-profits I decided not to fund.  These are mainly national organizations.  I try to give locally because the impact is greater and there is less spent on fund raising.  One of the organizations I wasn’t going to fund was the U. S. Humane Society.  I heard a piece on NPR recently that many movies that state there were no animals injured in the making of the movie were out right lying.  And, the Humane Society was a part of this.  But, I decided they also do a lot of good and my heart is with animals.

I love to watch and read Christmas stories.  I have watched almost all the Christmas stories and find something to like in all of them.  No matter how unlikely the story, there is always a transformation in the last 20 minutes.  Some of the stories are just plain silly, but I still enjoy watching them.

A part of the holiday spirit for me is knitting something while I watch the holiday show.  This year I am knitting a sweater for my grandson.  I think I will try to do it every year even though I may eventually get the title the “Sweater Grandmother”.

Then there is the baking.  Since I am trying to watch my weight, I make a lot of dog biscuits.  They are great gifts for friends with dogs.  And, most of my friends have dogs.

I will end with saying “May the spirit be with you!”

No comments:

Post a Comment