Friday, April 1, 2011

Rebirth

Okay, I thought I was going to do a back-story today, the dog’s, because we all know that dogs are much more fascinating than humans.  But my thoughts are going another way.  At yoga this morning, I had a different instructor.  My usual instructor, C, is wonderful.  One time last year she had a substitute for a class my husband and I were taking.  The substitute was really nice and really quite good, but she wasn’t C.  I felt like a grumpy 6 year old.  I wanted to say, “but C doesn’t do it that way. C always does  this first.”  I told myself to get a grip.  This morning I handled it great. During savasana (brief relaxation at the end of the session) the substitute adjusted (touching us in a way that improved our pose).  It was great!  Anyway, she talked about spring and rebirth.  It made me think about Shadow and me.

Shadow is having a rebirth of who she is.  She was defined before by vision and being an athlete.  Now she’s using other senses and strengths that define her.  Even the sense of touch seems to have more meaning.  It’s really been since her vision decreased that she and Maggie, the relationship I said I wouldn’t discuss, have become so close.  ESSs are affectionate dogs.  With the loss of vision, affection and touching seem to be more important to her.  It’s part of her connection to the world.

I’m having a rebirth through retirement.  I will be changing how I define myself.  The world will also define me differently.  I’ve always seen my value in my work and in the good I can do for the community.  My expertise has value while employed. When I retire, I will not be sought out for this.  So, I will redefine myself – a rebirth.

Today was a great day for Shadow and me.  She is eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment