Saturday, April 30, 2011

Grandchild


What’s a great way to spend time in retirement?  Possibly spending time with a grandchild.  I just learned from my son and daughter-in-law that they are expecting a baby and I will be a grandmother in October.  The timing is perfect.  I will be retired and able to make myself available to help with my grandchild.  I have wanted a grandchild.  I have even told my friend E that she is so rich in grandchildren (5) that surely she could spare one for me.  She only laughed, but never agreed. 

Wow, lots of thoughts and dreams.  My son is a little less than an hour from me, so very a drivable distance.  I believe I will be a fun grandmother.  We will hike, ride bikes, go to museums, canoe, travel, and of course lots of reading books.  How wonderful to have a grandchild close enough to be apart of their life. 

We had dinner with them when they told us on Monday, then had dinner in Columbus on Thursday.  After dinner we visited a shop called Sprout Soup – a baby boutique.  It’s a wonderful shop for hip and environmentally aware parents.  Lots of choices for clothe diapers, natural fabrics, handmade toys and clothes, and all kinds of carriers to have your baby close to you.

My choices for retirement have expanded!

No comments:

Post a Comment